Thursday 31 March 2011

Wait... you want me to do what now?


Hi.
Welcome to All In? A Twitter Research Project. My name is Erica Packington (@Erica_Jane_MP) and I'm doing a Masters degree in Organisational Consulting. For my dissertation, I'm looking at how/if people think about how they appear to others and themselves when they are using social technologies. I've chosen to focus on Twitter for this bit of the research.
You might be here because I invited you to take part because I know you personally; or because I don't, but I follow you; or because you were randomly selected from the group of people I interact with on Twitter - those people I follow and those who follow me. You might have stumbled across the #AllInResearch hashtag or some tweets mentioning it and come to find out more. You might be lost and just looking for cute videos of kitties (if so, here you go, and thanks for stopping by).
The All In? Twitter Research project is designed so that I can see how it develops over time and through the many different ways people use Twitter. So, if you found me on your own, please feel free to jump in. If you're coming to the party late, you should be able to find the questions I've already asked and let me know what you think.
So, what do I want from you?
I'm going to be asking about 12 questions over the course of 5 days starting Monday 4th April, with the final questions being asked on Friday 8th April. I'll probably ask between 2-4 questions a day. All the questions will be posted as "broadcast" posts - that is, not a RT or an @reply. They will be 1 tweet long, tagged with #AllInResearch and will come from my @Erica_Jane_MP id. I may tweet about the project itself to get people to take part, but once I start the research, I'll only post each research question once.


Once I have people's responses, I am going to look at the data, see if I can find some common themes, mash it up with some hardcore sociology and put it in my dissertation alongside my own reflections on how and why I use Twitter from a personal and organisational perspective. If you've taken part, or are even just interested in the work, you are very welcome to see the data I've collected and the work I've produced (but not till I'm finished).
The Rules (well, they are more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules):
  • I'm going to ask all my research questions publicly. If you feel comfortable doing so, please reply in the same way using an @reply.  If you want to contact me via DM to answer any of the questions then please feel free to do so (but I might ask you follow-up questions about why). 
  • If you can, try to use 1 tweet to answer the questions. If you can't, use as many as you feel you need to to answer to your satisfaction. Again, I might ask you follow-up questions about using several tweets for one response.
  • I know some of you tweet from multiple accounts. If you'd be willing to answer the research questions from your two most active accounts (for e.g. your personal & organisational accounts) and do so *in the way you normally interact in both* then that would be amazing. If that's not possible, I'd like you to think about how you might act/think/be different between one and the other and perhaps talk to me about it separately.
  • By taking part in this research project, you give me permission to reprint your tweets (and to comment on them) in my dissertation - and possibly articles and case study work following on from that. Basically, anything that's @replied or broadcast posted, I am going to assume is in the public domain. If I want to use content of a DM from you, I will seek your specific permission, and anonymise if you would like me to. EDIT: As per the conversation in comments below, if you tweet from a protected account, I will treat your replies to me (even if they are @replies or RTs) as if they were DMs. That is, I will ask your specific permission to publish, and anonymise if you would like me to.
Think that's about it for now. Hope you can take part :)

3 comments:

  1. So, I've sent out about 70% of the invitations, via Twitter, over the course of last night and this morning. Unfortunately, I seem to have triggered Twitter's immune system and they've limited the amount of daily tweets I am able to make.

    If you've responded to me over Twitter and I haven't got back to you, I'm not being rude - I just can't post until tomorrow, when Twitter takes me off the naughty step and lets me back in.

    Thanks so much for coming and having a look at this anyway, and hopefully I will be able to finish the invitations soon, stop spamming and get on with the interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does "anything that's @replied or broadcast posted, I am going to assume is in the public domain" apply to people with protected Twitter accounts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That there is a very good point. Thinking about it, I'd say that broadcast posts/@replies/RT from protected accounts would have similar expectations of privacy as DMs from non-protected accounts. So I'd ask specific permission from the protected account holder to publish, including anonymisation options etc.

    ReplyDelete